Wednesday, July 26, 2017

A Salute to Exceptional STEP-PARENTS

Brenda Lucas is my dad's second wife of almost 40 years. On paper, she is my "step mom." In my heart, she is "mom" just like my biological mom. I love them both very much.

Last July 31st, Brenda had a heart attack in an airport in Arizona and flat-lined twice. She was brought back from death two different times. It was the worst phone call I've ever received in my life. As this July 31st rolls around, we are so fortunate to be able to send her a plant, card, and well wishes. She is doing better than ever and looks and feels amazing.

Brenda is a wonderful mom, mother-in-law, and grandma. She goes by "Oma" as her "grandma name."

I wanted to share this because there are so many outstanding "step-parents" out there that make a positive difference in the lives of kids every day. I salute all step-parents that love and support their step-kids like Brenda took me in.

Below is the message I put in a card for her to receive on Monday, the 1-year "anniversary" of her near fatal episode.

Brenda/Oma:

We love you very much! We are so thankful that you survived the heart attack last July 31st. That was the scariest phone call I've ever received and I just can't put into words how blessed we feel that you made it through.

You know, I've never really felt comfortable with the word "step-mom" because that doesn't do justice to what you mean to me. YOU are a major reason that I've been able to find some success as an adult.

When you came into my life, things could have "zigged" or "zagged" for the better or worse. You never resented the craziness that came along with my side of the family and the wounds from the divorce between my dad and other mom. You always treated me like your biological son. You never made my dad "choose" between time with me or time with you. From my very first memories with you, it's always been kindness, unselfishness, and love.

You helped make my dad into the great man he is today. You helped make our family stronger. I see so many young people today that have horrible situations that pop up through divorced parents, step-parents, etc. and I just can't thank you enough for being my MOM and not a "step-mom."

I just can't thank you enough for what you mean to me, what you mean to Liesl as a mother-in-law, or what you mean to our kids as Oma. You're a very special person.

You're one of the people I admire most in the world. Your calm demeanor, acceptance of others, unselfishness, and kind spirit motivate me each day.

I look forward to sending you a plant or a card on July 31st for decades to come. I love you as my MOM and that is such a special feeling for me to have.

Thank you for being amazing. You've impacted my life in more ways than I can express.

The link below is to a song by Brad Paisley about "step dads" so the words don't align perfectly for you and I but you will get the point...."You didn't have to be" so wonderful to me but you were/are and that makes a positive difference in my life every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjO1F6oCab8

No comments:

Post a Comment