Wednesday, May 10, 2017

PROJECT SEARCH

York Public Schools is extremely proud to be part of "Project Search," which is an internship program designed to transition young adults with disabilities from the high school setting into employment within the workplace. This rewarding program provides real-life work experience combined with training in employability and independent living skills to help young adults with disabilities make successful transitions from school to productive adult life.

Thanks to Beth Ericson, ESU 6, Nichole Wetjen, York General, and others for their commitment to this vital program. I just left Project Search Graduation where we honored Katlyn and Cody, two more YHS graduates. It is one of my favorite days of the year. The pride and enthusiasm that our Project Search students display as they learn various work skills is inspiring. Their work ethic and desire to work hard should be examples for us all!

I choked up a little as I listened to Nichole Wetjen passionately and tearfully reminiscing about the gains each of this year's graduates made. I smiled like a kid in a candy shop as I looked around the room and saw so much happiness and joy from the families of each graduate. Today was a tremendous accomplishment for Katlyn and Cody and a young man from Milford High. They earned their high school diplomas and completed work internships in multiple areas. All three have employment already lined up.

As I told the crowd before I proudly presented diplomas, Project Search is one of the best things we get to be involved with. It is refreshing to be around those that are so humble, thankful, and enthusiastic about working and learning. My hat is off to everyone involved with Project Search.

We are proud of you!



No comments:

Post a Comment