Wednesday, May 3, 2017

FAMILY

My dad and step-mama came to York this past week for a quick visit. They live in Wildwood, FL so the weather change they witnessed from Thursday afternoon, over the weekend, and through Monday was eye-opening for them. Needless to say, as our temps dropped to the 30's on Sunday, they were missing 90 degrees in the sunshine state!

All of my family lives in Florida and I don't get to see them very much. I haven't been back there since 2012 and I need to do a better job of visiting. It got me thinking....which is always dangerous. My dad just turned 69 years old in April. Let's say we're lucky that he lives to be 95 years old. Let's say that I'm lucky enough to see him for eight days a year (often it is not that long) for the next 26 years. That comes to 208 days that I could possibly get to spend with my dad. That's less than seven months. That's not enough. That's sad.

As busy as we all get, as stressful as our jobs are, as hectic as life is, we must find time for family. We must reach out and make memories. We must embrace the limited opportunities we have to spend with loved ones. This is an area I have to improve in!

Here's to family. Near and far. Tell the ones you love how much they mean to you. Surprise them with a card or a phone call. "TIME" is deceiving.

1 comment: