Monday, November 14, 2016

Education - A Wonderful Career

I'm extremely proud to be a professional educator. This is my 23rd year in public education and I wouldn't change a thing about the career I've chosen. I was lucky to spend my first four years out of college as a 3rd grade teacher and high school football and basketball coach. I loved being a teacher and a coach. It was so exciting to build relationships with students and their families. I can still vividly remember numerous days/events from those fun times between 1994-1998.

At the ripe 'ol age of 25, I began my school leadership career as a K-8 principal for USD #506 in Labette County, KS. While I was only a Bartlett Brave for two years, I learned a lot and was able to gain guidance from Rex Toomey and other school administrators that I still rely on.

In the summer of 2000, we moved to West Point, Nebraska and I was lucky enough to begin my three year stint as a K-6 principal for West Point Public Schools. It was during this time that I learned about the politics of public education, the importance of public relations, and how to deal with tough issues that could divide a staff and community. I also learned from 2000-2003 how badly I wanted to become a superintendent.

In April 2003, at the ripe ol' age of 30, I signed a contract that made me superintendent of schools in Franklin, Nebraska. We lived there for six years and enjoyed our time as Franklin Flyers. In addition to my superintendent role, over the next six years, my duties went on to expand to that as 9-12 principal, cheer sponsor, and various assistant coaching gigs. My time in Franklin taught me the importance of follow-through, enthusiasm, communication, time management, organization, and being able to make tough decisions and stand by them while taking lots of criticism.

Now, as I'm in my 8th year as superintendent of York Public Schools, I find myself reflecting quite a bit and thinking about how fast it has gone. Heck, I will be eligible to retire in 12.5 years! That's not very long. Just 12.5 years ago I was still getting acclimated in Franklin. It seems like yesterday in many ways.

I love the energy and enthusiasm that I get to see every day in this career. This past Friday, I was able to visit almost every PreK-12th grade classroom in YPS and it keeps me young. I love the hustle and bustle at YES where the students and teachers achieve so much together. I love the positive learning environment at YMS where the students show more independence and personality. I love the structure and supports in place at YHS as kids prepare for the "real world." I love the unbridled excitement at PLAY where our 3-4 year olds are learning so many new things each and every day.

I love school activities. I saw the best one-act performance of my life at 8:00 AM this past Saturday morning when YHS brought down the house with "Sweeney Todd." I was able to go watch Mock Trial crush it last Wednesday night in Lincoln. I'm excited about our upcoming Christmas concerts (vocal and band), wrestling season, basketball games, etc. Watching tennis, golf, cross country, softball, football, and volleyball this past fall was always enjoyable because I know how hard those kids and coaches work.

When you think about it, I don't know what it feels like to not start a new school year each August. I wouldn't know how to act if we didn't have a new theme or mission to shoot for the middle of every August. Education provides me with structure but flexibility. Each year has some of the same parameters but takes on its own shape too. There are always plenty of challenges. There is always a long 'to-do list' but it is work that is always worth doing.

I love learning about new cleaning products to make schools cleaner and safer. Heck, I love learning about LED lights and energy efficiency and all these things I never thought I would do. Let's talk about K-12 math curriculum. Let's talk DIBELS, NeSA, and NWEA MAPS. Let's talk about geothermal well-fields. Let's talk about interest rates for bonded indebtedness. Let's talk about special education programming, science initiatives, and school calendars. Let's talk about high ability learners, our Entrepreneurship Academy, or our after-school programs. Let's talk strategic planning, work certification programs, and health insurance. Let's talk about instructional strategies, technology integration, and disaster plans. Let's talk about bus chassis and snow removal chemicals....you see, I get to learn so much and be involved in so much that it makes the days, weeks, months, and years fly by. You're always a part of moving forward. You're always on the go. It's addicting.

I'm thankful that I was steered into a career as an educator. I've worked with so many amazing and selfless people. I've seen so many awesome students. I've gotten to witness lifelong memories. It's a true blessing to be in public education. These next 12.5 years will most likely be the most challenging of my career. Student and community needs seem to increase each year. It's the challenge and the pursuit of excellence that keeps most educators going.

If you're undecided about a career path, I highly recommend education. It's important work that allows you the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others and to positively impact a community.

Go Dukes!

No comments:

Post a Comment