Tuesday, February 9, 2016

The Power of Learning and Enthusiasm

Monday, February 8th was a long day...I didn't get much sleep the night before...I didn't feel very good...and I had an enormous amount of items on my "to-do list" for the day. I got to the office and started pecking away at my duties for the day without much enthusiasm or excitement...I was really just kind of going through the motions...not super engaged...just getting by and I hate that feeling.

This went on until about 10:00 AM and I couldn't take it any more. I needed to re-focus and get out of this funk so I headed to York Middle School. You see, I'm a VERY LUCKY person. Whenever I get down or overrun with paperwork, adult issues, and the politics of public education, I get to go so awesome students and school staff in action to get me back on track.

In about 45 minutes, I was able to visit every YMS classroom. I saw amazing 6th, 7th, and 8th graders and their teachers working on persuasive paragraphs, the laws of motion, comparing and contrasting bird beaks/animal traits, working on digital presentations, calculating difficult math problems, learning about the Great Depression, preparing book report summaries, and so much more. I saw awesome art work on display and young artists working on projects they were so excited about. I got to see wooden car races in our industrial tech class where the students were so engaged and loud that it was great! I walked through the gym to see a PE class working on their basketball unit.

I saw a high needs special education student working on an iPad with his dedicated teacher as he tried to work on basic site words and pronunciation. As I walked over, he mumbled something to me and I couldn't understand what he was saying. His teacher told me he was saying, "Go York Dukes" and that was it -- I was out of my funk. I was re-energized and ready to go! That little guy made my day!

I saw tremendous para-educators exhibiting lots of patience and empathy as they worked with students in a variety of settings. I saw ultra-organized secretaries keeping things running smoothly. Our custodians were keeping things clean and safe. Our cooks were preparing delicious and nutritious meals. Our nurses were preparing medicine disbursements and checking on students in need.

I'm thankful for my job. Motivation and a "sense of purpose" is everywhere we look. Go York Dukes!



No comments:

Post a Comment