Thursday, November 13, 2014

Students have a HUGE Impact on us Professional Educators

Being a lifelong educator is a GREAT job. Sure, there are horrible days, tough circumstances, constant criticism, etc. However, when all is said and done; it is a wonderful profession. In my opinion, the best part about the education profession is STUDENTS. Yes, we help teach our students some lessons but I'm here to tell you I learn a ton from our students as well.

As a former 3rd grade teacher from 1994-1998, I can still remember certain lessons, specific things that happened, etc. I often wonder how my former students are doing. I was in Broken Bow on Tuesday night and ran into the mama of one of my former students in West Point, Nebraska where I served as K-6 principal from 2000-2003. I had not seen this family since May of 2003 and over 11 years later, I could remember exactly who she was, her son Morgan, and her husband Bob. She told me Morgan has graduated from UNL and will be married next fall. Wow. He was JUST in 5th grade "yesterday."

I often think about Bobby from Bartlett Grade School, Russell from Franklin, Cyle from Fort Leavenworth, Morgan and Yanette from West Point, and many, many others.

Myself, like many educational colleagues, have been lucky to be around lots of awesome students throughout our careers. I highly encourage any young person that is contemplating what kind of career they want to have to seriously consider education. It's made a big difference in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment