Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Just Random Thoughts

No set topic for this week's blog...just a hodge-podge of miscellaneous musings...

* I spent the past five days down in Sumter County, Florida with my grandmother, who is in hospice care, and expected to pass away by the end of the week. We were able to have many meaningful talks that I will cherish forever. "Mammy" is not "just" a grandmother, but a stabilizing force in our entire family. Her death will be the end of an era. It was extremely difficult to say goodbye to her yesterday but I have to find comfort in that she is going to a better place. Man, I miss her already.

* I pretty much spent 10-12 hours with Mammy each day but was able to drive around a little and think about my childhood years down in the country part of Florida. It reminded me of how much I miss Florida. I miss the horse farms, the mossy oak trees, ponds and lakes, the weather, and just the country ways of Sumter County. I saw people I hadn't seen for 25-30 years that I used to see almost every Sunday at the First Baptist Church of Oxford, where Mammy played the organ for over 60 years! It was definitely a time to do some soul searching. I love living in Nebraska but I do miss Florida. Bad.

* It's funny how the different "zigs" and "zags" you take in life point you in different positions. There was a time, really up until I was 19 years old, that I just knew I was going to live in Florida for the rest of my life. Falling in love with an Omaha girl will change those plans in a hurry and I'm glad they did. I am comfortable and thankful to be a Non-Native Nebraskan that will always consider himself a Floridian who loves Nebraska a lot!

* I'm excited about the new superintendent that OPS hired. Dr. Logan, from Philadelphia, seems like an all-star. I hope she can come in and have immediate and sustained success in our state's largest school system. We need her to be awesome!

* This legislative session has been pretty interesting...not much has gotten done....and it will be entertaining to see what gets done over the coming weeks. I am afraid that nothing substantial will happen in regards to our state's massive over-reliance on local property taxes and that multiple lawsuits will take shape in the coming months. It's a sticky situation, for sure.

* Unfortunately, I had to miss our most recent band and choir concerts due to travel but I heard they were both outstanding. We are so fortunate to have so many talented and dedicated students and staff.

* YPS will be on Spring Break from March 8th-12th. Classes will resume on Tuesday, March 13th. Enjoy some time away.

GO DUKES!

No comments:

Post a Comment