Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Just Some of the Reasons that I LOVE MY JOB

Like many of you, I also have a tough and stressful job. There are days that I definitely wish I had a different career. There are times that I want to go home and never come back to the office. I think that is probably pretty normal for any of us in any profession.

However, let me be very clear, 96.33% of the time, I absolutely love what I do and who I do it for. Being able to go to “school” every day of my career is something I am very proud of. My almost nine years in York have been some of the most challenging and rewarding of my career. I don’t know that I would change too many things that have led up to this point.

Below are just some of the reasons I love my job in beautiful York, Nebraska as a proud member of the York Dukes Family.

• I get to learn about amazingly talented students like Alyssa Gilliland, a sophomore at YHS, that already has an ACT score of 33 to her name and a full-ride academic scholarship to UNL. She’s in 10th grade! (Her ACT score already beats mine by a couple of touchdowns! No extra points but still….)

• I get to see awesome young people like Scott Fulsos mature right in front of my eyes. I got to see how his strong work ethic and determination led him to a gold medal at this year’s state wrestling meet.

• I get to see tremendously dedicated teachers and support staff that work hard for every student every day. I see them in our buildings at night, early in the morning, and on the weekends. Our teachers and staff members are top-notch. I will put them up against anyone.

• I get to do a wide variety of “stuff.” Just yesterday, I woke up at 4:10 AM to drive roads to check for ice. I then was able to tamper with a little weather forecasting. After that, I worked on YPS social media, attended a meeting at the bus barn, worked on a grant, wrote three positive notes to mail home, recruited for a potential staff vacancy, worked on two different budget reports, reviewed our NeSA scores, began preparations for 5th Grade Fitness Fun Day later this spring, made last minute tweaks for our Community Coffee and Lunch & Learn presentations on Wednesday, began to put the wheels in motion for some high ability learner programming this summer, prepared a board meeting agenda, worked on our Senior Class Real World Boot Camp coming up on April 3rd, sent out reminders to the YPS Foundation, studied some of our curriculum maps, reached out to a new hire, checked up on some legislative updates, emailed a state senator, texted another state senator, studied some bus bids, reviewed long-range facility plans/projects, and made notes for different improvements we want to make in 2018-19. Later on, I met with a staff member about health insurance benefits and then went to a basketball game. This is a typical kind of day and it fits my personality well because about every 15-20 minutes, I’m on to something else. I guess I’m like a 1st grader in that regard. Keep me on my toes and keep me moving!

• I get to know amazing parents and families of our students along the way. I have celebrated with them in times of joy and cried with them in times of pain. This job allows you to meet so many wonderful people.

• I get to work with amazing community leaders from our business and industry sector. I am lucky to serve on various boards and councils that get to help promote our town and community. These are connections and friendships that I cherish. York, Nebraska is a special place.

• I see HOPE in our younger generation. I see the great things they do in the classroom and within school activities. I know that today’s young people deal with more stress and distractions than any generation before them and most of them do it better than adults. Our students will always be my “main thing.”

• I get to be a TeamMate mentor that works with an awesome 8th grader each week. I get to listen to things through his eyes.

• I get to be involved with Special Olympics Nebraska, which is one of the most rewarding things I’ve been lucky enough to do.

• I see the uncharted enthusiasm and excitement in Kindergarten students. Every day is a great day for them. I wish we all had their energy and passion for learning.

• I have been able to meet unbelievably talented professionals like Greg Barnes at ESU 11, Jim Sutfin in Millard, Aaron Plas at Lakeview, Teresa Schnoor in Kearney, and John Skretta at Norris.

• I’ve worked with phenomenal leaders like Mark Adler, Mike Teahon, Melissa Wheelock, and Caroline Winchester.

• I’ve gotten to know young bloods like Lance Smith that keep me energized and ready to do more.

• I’ve been able to learn from great leaders at NCSA like Mike Dulaney and Dan Ernst and from NASB leaders like John Spatz.

• I get to have meaningful one-on-one conversations with our state’s Commissioner of Education, Dr. Matt Blomstedt, a guy I really admire. Wow, life is good!

• I get to go to Speech Meets, One-Act plays, concerts, and Fine Arts Banquets. For FREE!

• I get to learn about aquaponics from our FFA.

• I get to go to all kinds of sporting events and spelling bees and Flag Appreciation Days and enjoy every single one of them!
• I get to learn about robotics and entrepreneurship from middle schoolers!

• I work with an awesome board of education that is truly a team. They study issues, discuss them, and do what is best for our students. I enjoy each and every one of them.

• Social media has allowed me to connect with former students and staff from Fort Leavenworth, Labette County, West Point, and Franklin. I cherish each of those stops throughout my career and the many impactful relationships I was lucky enough to have along the way.

• Every single day, I get to see so many young people with bright futures. It truly is a blessing! Working in education is the perfect career for me. It is so rewarding, challenging, and always changing.

Yes, I have to deal with upset people. Yes, some people hate my guts. Yes, it can get tiring to hear 548 complaints about YPS for every positive we hear. Yes, dealing with energy suckers like the foot stomper and the back stabber gets old.

However, the positives heavily outweigh the negatives. When all is said and done, I love my job. I love York Public Schools. I love who I work with, and like my voicemail says, “every day is a great day to be a York Duke!”




No comments:

Post a Comment