Tuesday, January 23, 2018

MOTIVATION -- What Motivates You?

Motivation is a funny thing. It’s often hard to describe or depict in others but you can almost always tell when it is present.

For me, the fear of failure has always been my strongest motivator. As much as I like success and winning, the positive feelings that come with those don’t outweigh the negative feelings that come with failure and losing. Like Bo Ryan used to say, “The losses hurt worse than the wins feel good.”

I guess it’s safe to say that I’m more of an “intrinsic guy” because my motivation almost always come from within me, as opposed to external factors. I’ve had enough failures and losses in my life that I know I choose to do whatever I can to avoid those in the future. I think about it every day. I try to be my own harshest critic and set high expectations for myself that sometimes only I know if I accomplish or not.

Don’t get me wrong, I get motivated by outside factors as well. There’s a pretty healthy “chip on my shoulder” that motivates me continually. “The chip” exists from people telling me what can’t be done, from individuals and organizations not giving “little ol’ York” the respect we’ve earned, and from being looked down upon by others when I was younger. I do my best to manage “the chip” and use it strategically without letting it get out of control.

Growing up in a single-parent home and having to work since 8th grade forced me to look at things a little differently than my affluent friends. You see, working as a garbage man, farm laborer, gas station attendant, construction worker, roofer, security guard, and sod-layer between the ages of 13-17 makes you develop some toughness and can be very motivating. We had to earn what we had, nothing was handed to us, and that has a way of motivating you to work hard, appreciate what you have, and be skeptical of those that are entitled and unappreciative of the blessings in their lives.

I’m glad York gets overlooked by some because “we’re way out west” away from Lincoln and Omaha and not part of an urban, metro area. I will tell you this with unabashed sincerity….York is as good as anyone, regardless of our size. Just because we’re not “Class A” or within “the metro” doesn’t mean we’re not elite. Size does not always matter and bigger doesn’t always mean better. Real talk!

Legislatively, there have been several bills introduced over the past few years that could be motivating to all public school employees. Recently, a bill was introduced to eliminate the State Board of Education and give its control to the Governor’s Office. The Americans for Prosperity – Nebraska Chapter is using extremely distorted student achievement data to call public education in Nebraska “a disgrace.” Motivation is everywhere if we choose to look for it.

I will tell you this, the assault on public education doesn’t motivate me as much as simply serving our children does. I’m in the “kid business” and business is good. I work for kids, not for politicized groups. It’s always been about doing what is best for our students regardless of who supports that or not. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the “bulletin board material” the anti-public school crowd provides but it’s really just “clutter” that doesn’t mean we’re going to do anything different than we already do every day for every student. Our kids deserve our best effort every minute of every day and that has to come from intrinsic motivation; not from outside influences.

Motivation is often needed in January and February as the “winter doldrums” can overtake us if we’re not careful. I choose to use past failures to keep me going. I choose to use “the chip” to keep me fueled and engaged. I choose to keep going to help make YPS better and better.

What motivates you?

No comments:

Post a Comment