Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Nebraska - No Charter Schools Needed

Nebraska remains one of the few states in this great nation that has not yet succumbed to the charter school movement. However, there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes that most Nebraskans are simply unaware of. The “far right” minded folks in our state are working feverishly to propose new charter legislation. The far right is also hand-picking state senator candidates that are keeping secret their wishes to discredit and undermine Nebraska public education so they can usher in charter schools. It's pretty scary. This is going on right now and most are oblivious to it.

Nebraska’s public schools are some of the best in the nation. Whether you look at graduation rates, average ACT scores, or the National Assessment of Educational Progress, Nebraska ranks as one of the top 12 states in the entire country in numerous categories. With that being said, Nebraska’s public schools need to improve just like any other organization does. There is always something to do better.

Like all states, Nebraska does have some low-performing schools. Not surprising to anyone in the educational profession, these lower performing schools have an extremely high rate of poverty. What can charter schools do differently for children living in extreme poverty that public schools aren’t already doing?

On April 26th, an organization sent some tweets to me because they didn’t like my blog, “Why I am Opposed to Charter Schools in Nebraska.” We tweeted back and forth for a little while that evening. Two tweets they sent to me really stood out as they said…

1) “Don’t live in denial of reality, there are kids struggling who need other options.”

2) “The opposition (to charter schools) won’t be remembered kindly in history.”

In regards to #1 above, I totally understand there are kids struggling. I see them every day. We work with them, and their families, all of the time. We provide extra services for them all year long. We provide educational services, counseling, clothing, food, toothpaste, and numerous other things most people have no idea about. What other options are out there for these strugglers? Again, if the far right charter school supporters have all the answers on how to “fix” struggling kids, most of which live in extreme poverty, shouldn’t they be obligated to share the solution?

In regards to #2, I don’t do my job worrying about whether or not I will be remembered kindly. I oppose charter schools because they aren’t better than public schools, they don’t play by the same rules as public schools, and the way the far right in Nebraska is going about them is just plain wrong and deceptive.

I chose to get into education because I love working with kids. I began as a 3rd grade teacher. Education is my passion. I think about my students and my job 365 days a year like thousands of other dedicated educators in Nebraska.

I’m truly perplexed by those that want to push for charter schools. I am reaching out for answers...please help me understand.

1) If charter schools are so wonderful (even though there is tons of data that show they are less effective than public schools), why don’t we all become charter schools?

2) Do charter schools serve ALL students? The ones with severe physical, emotional, and learning disabilities?

3) Do charter schools use the same funding mechanisms as public schools?

4) If so, do they have the same level of accountability?

5) Are charter schools governed by a locally elected board of education or a group of far right strategists? Do they hold open board meetings?

6) What do charter schools provide that public schools don’t?

I hate to sound like a broken record but I worry about Nebraska's future. Are we going to stand by and let the far right manipulate their way into the charter school movement? Nebraskans should know better.



No comments:

Post a Comment