Friday, January 13, 2012

The Importance of Student Activities

One of the great things about working in public education is that you get to feed off the enthusiasm and excitement from your students. As I was at York High School last night cheering on the Dukes in basketball action I was reminded of the importance of a "sense of belonging" that school activities brings to us.

As I entered the school, I saw 75+ elementary aged girls practicing with our cheer squad for "Mini Cheer Night." I then walked through the library and saw our speech team working hard to prepare for this week's meet. I then ran into junior class officers that were selling suckers as a fundraiser for prom.

Next, I made it into the gym to see our basketball teams compete. At halftime, I enjoyed the Dukettes' dance routine. The cheerleaders re-emerged to lead our fans through cheers. The YHS Band was phenomenal throughout the night as well. Some of the wrestlers stopped by after their practice to watch some hoops action.

Look at how many activities our kids were involved in last night. Each one of them allows them to feel commitment to a larger cause, to manage their time, to work well with others, to practice a craft, and to have fun with their peers.

Keep getting involved. Support YPS activities. Go Dukes!

No comments:

Post a Comment