Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Perspective from Special Olympics Flag Football

This past weekend was amazing as we were so fortunate to help host the Special Olympics Nebraska Flag Football Tournament.  Thanks to EVERYONE that helped us show the Nebraska Special Olympians what a great place York is. Watching the flag football games and the teamwork and support the Special Olympians gave to each other was inspiring.  

We had student and staff helpers from YPS, Hampton, Aurora, Lincoln, and GINW.  We borrowed equipment from High Plains, McCool Junction, Seward, Hampton, and Cross County. We had parents and students and community members step up and work hard all weekend. York College Baseball players and coaches worked all day on Sunday and were amazing.  

The York County Visitors Bureau, Chamber of Commerce, downtown businesses, and Todd Kirshenbaum helped roll out the red carpet. York Office Supply donated a great “welcome” banner.  Wal-Mart helped with a donation. Culligan Water, Pieper's Potties, and Kopcho's Sanitation all helped out as well.  

Our banks and service clubs donated funds to offset expenses.  Donn Athcison came out and took some amazing pictures. Dickey’s BBQ and LunchTime Solutions delivered delicious meals to the competitors and coaches.  The YPS Foundation and “student travel group” provided great food for fans and officials. My favorite part of the weekend was working with my son, Bo, as he helped me with all of the setup and cleanup. He was a huge help!

We had about 45 Special Olympians join us for our Friday night football game vs GINW. They loved the atmosphere and I think we picked up some York Duke fans out of the bunch!

I got to see two of my former students from West Point Elementary compete in the games. One plays for West Point and the other for Fremont. I was able to make a new friend named Brian in Minden. I can still see his smile and sense of pride from his work in Saturday morning's skills competition. I got to see James from here in York win a medal on Saturday and feel so good about it he was still wearing it on Sunday. I enjoyed getting to know the Omaha Bears and visiting with them about their trick plays and defensive strategies.

Everywhere I looked, I saw joy. I saw tremendous competitors that cared about each other. I saw athletes that just wanted to play. I saw appreciation and support all over the place. I saw many of our students from YHS showing tremendous poise, patience, and kindness as they helped the competitors.

It was a "Top 10" weekend for me. I smiled more this past weekend than I have in a long time. I learned a lot from the Special Olympians and am so appreciative of them coming to York. They have it figured out. Their positive attitudes are contagious.

Thanks again to everyone that helped and/or came out to watch and support. It was such a special weekend!


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment