Monday, October 3, 2016

Chris Keiser - A Special Friend

Chris Keiser is a special friend of mine. I've known him since 8th grade back in Ocala, FL at Osceola Middle School. Chris has special needs. He has developmental delays and functions at a low cognitive level. He was in mild to severe Special Education classes his entire K-12 life.

I began kindergarten in the fall of 1977 and I can remember when special needs students were literally placed in custodial closets and isolated from their "regular" education peers. I vividly remember walking to recess one day when I was in 4th or 5th grade and seeing a wheel-chair bound student staring at us from a closet with a wishful look that they too could go to recess and have some fun.

My lifelong friendship with Chris Keiser began under sad circumstances. By my 8th grade year, 1985-86, special education students had begun to be more mainstreamed and Chris was part of our PE class. I walked into the locker room one day to see another student named Divencey beating Chris up and shoving him in a locker. I was enraged that someone would pick on Chris so I quickly put an end to it and threw Divencey around a little bit and made sure everyone knew they better never mess with Chris again.

We became buddies after that. Once we both went to Forest High School that August, we became better friends. Forest was a big place with lots of students and multiple student lunches to accommodate all of the kids. I found out that Chris and I had the same lunch (5-D, I think) so I made sure we sat by each other every day. We talked about his classes, me playing varsity football, pretty girls, etc. I was dating a gal named Caroline that year and us three were always together.

Chris went to dances with us. He and I went to some movies. I just enjoyed being around someone that was so "real" and not fake. Chris told you like it was. He didn't stab you in the back. He didn't try to tear you down so he could build himself up. He was, and still is, a true friend.

I spent more time with Chris in high school than any other single person. Girlfriends came and went but Chris was always there. I continued to take him to dances all four years. We saw lots of movies together on Saturday afternoons. He became our team manager for football and baseball so I rode lots of miles with him on yellow buses too. He would get picked on from time to time and it really made him sad. I tried to be there for him but couldn't be with him all of the time.

I am lucky to still have some friends from high school I stay in touch with but none more than Chris. He came to visit us in West Point, Nebraska in 2002. He came to my Masters' Graduation in Kansas in 1998. He's been a true friend for many years.

I spoke to Chris last night...we typically talk to each other 6-7 times a year. He is SO excited that he has a job at Wal-Mart from 11:00 PM until 7:00 AM four days a week. He helps stock shelves. He's had dish-washing jobs in the past but Wal-Mart has always been great to him and for that, I am so thankful. Chris is happy. He "gets" to work each week. He is an inspiration to me. Life has not been, and is not easy for him. He can't drive very well. He gets confused. His face has some abnormalities. But, you know what? He is happy. He is hard-working. He is grateful. He is loyal.

Over the years, I've had a lot of people tell me how "nice" it is that I'm friends with Chris. I'm the one that should be thankful....every time I speak to him, it is a reminder of how much I miss him and how much I pray for his happiness. It reminds me of all that I should be thankful for. My life is super easy compared to his. He's the real winner. I'm lucky to know him and be his friend...not the other way around!

I worry about what his life will be like when his mama passes away. He lost his dad many years ago. I worry about others treating him well and being respectful. I feel guilty for not getting down to Florida to see him for too many years.

I guess the message of my blog this week is for EVERYONE to treat others with respect and dignity. Some people look at a guy like Chris Keiser and they make fun of him. They pick on him. They go out of their way to make him sad. I detest these kind of people that must be so miserable with their own lives that they try to ruin the lives of others. EVERYONE deserves respect. EVERYONE can be treated kindly and fairly. We don't all have to be best friends but we can all co-exist.

I wish you had the chance to meet Chris. He would brighten your day. He would shake your hand, make you laugh, and feel good about yourself. Chris Keiser is special.



No comments:

Post a Comment