Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Nothing but Random Thoughts

This week's blog will be nothing but random thoughts on a wide variety of topics....proceed accordingly....

* I've always believed (and always will) in showing the utmost respect during the Pledge of Allegiance and National Anthem. That doesn't mean I agree with everything that goes on in our country. It means I cherish the opportunities we have as Americans. It means I am grateful to the brave men and women who have fought, and continue to fight, so we can keep that freedom. It sickens me that professional athletes making millions of dollars feel the need to disrespect our brave men and women of the Armed Forces by kneeling during the National Anthem. Now, across the country, we're seeing college and high school kids do the same. What an absolute shame. The Pledge and National Anthem aren't about you or me. They're about those that are brave enough to protect us. I fully support those that don't salute the flag as part of their religion....that's a different circumstance. I never will support those that for non-religious reasons want to make a spectacle out of our National Anthem.

* We are saddened by the news that Dr. Paul Toms passed away this weekend. He was a proud York Duke alumni that went on to serve York Public Schools as its superintendent. He retired in 1999. He was a visionary that began self-funded insurance here. He was an "old school" leader that was very results-oriented. I always enjoyed our visits. He would often stop by the house when I was working in the yard and we would just talk "school" for a little bit. He was such a proud and important member of our community. We will miss Dr. Paul Toms.

* Last week was a wonderful time in York with "Yorkfest" and Homecoming. Thanks to the York Chamber of Commerce for all of their work. There were numerous activities for kids and adults of all ages. It was a fun time to celebrate all that York has to offer.

* Congratulations to the City of York for being named "Community of the Year" by the Nebraska Diplomats. This is a nice accomplishment and showcases many of the improvements being made around town.

* I was very lucky to spend the last eight days with my 96-year old grandmother ("Mammy"), her best friend, Miss Jackie, and my mama as they all visited from Florida. I miss my family dearly and wish I got to see them more than a few days each year. Mammy has been a tremendous influence throughout my life. My mama is an inspiration for never giving up. I love my family very much and often think back to times when we were all together. Mothers and grandparents are such special people. Memories last a lifetime!

Have a great week.

Go Dukes!

No comments:

Post a Comment