Monday, April 18, 2016

A Tribute to Phil Towle on a "Job Well Done"

The York Duke Family lost a true legend and leader on Saturday when Mr. Phil Towle passed away from a brain aneurysm. Phil was the proudest York Duke you could ever meet. He graduated from York High School. He was a teacher, counselor, and coach at York High School. He was a Board of Education member. He was a community volunteer that was active in his church.

Mr. Phil Towle was a treasure. He was a difference maker. He made the people around him better.

Phil and I had become very close during my 7-years here in York. He would often stop by 1-2 times a week to shoot the breeze and visit about how things were going. We went to state track together and he had to have Dairy Queen afterwards. We went on a couple of football road trips together to Lexington and GI Northwest. We roomed together at a couple of school board conferences. We had planned to go to a track meet together later this spring. He was very excited about his throwers and how they were improving. After his heart surgery, I kept asking him what I could do for him and he finally gave in one day and asked me to bring him a ham breakfast wrap from Arby's out to his house. He was a wonderful man.

He loved the York Dukes. He took a lot of pride in being a York Duke and helping those that are currently York Dukes to appreciate what that means and stands for. He knew a lot about our students and would often do many things behind the scenes to help those in need.

Phil was the first person I met in York when I interviewed here in January 2009. He was our "tour guide" on interview day and was just a pleasure to get to visit with. He was a tremendous ambassador for our school district and community. He couldn't contain his pride and love for York when he spoke as you could see it in the sparkle of his eyes.

Phil was very kind. You knew he was sincere when he would shake your hand, give you a hug, shoot you a text, or send an email that contained the phrase, "a job well done." In Phil's world, "a job well done" was as good as it gets. You did what you were supposed to do and you did it well.

Phil always made you feel better about tough issues and times full of adversity. I felt comfortable telling him things I don't tell other people. He just made you feel safe and you knew you could trust him. He told me he loved me one day as we were discussing some serious issues about the future. I loved him as well and was glad I told him before it was too late.

It hurts to look into the board room at the district office where we sat and talked just last week.

As I got word of his condition this past Saturday morning, I spoke with his grandson and was lucky enough to see him in Room 310 at the hospital in Grand Island about 10:45 AM. I had to see Phil one last time. I had to tell him "thank you" for all he did for so many. I had to tell him "job well done" on a life full of service, unselfishness, and being a difference maker.

Phil leaves a huge hole in the hearts of many. As my eyes tear up with sadness, I also feel a twinge of added responsibility and motivation to continue to help the York Dukes get better and better like Phil always talked about. I never wanted to let him down and that will never change.

We often talk about "Duke Pride" and "Forever a Duke" and nobody exemplified either of those better than Phil.

I wish I could give Phil a hug and tell him "a job well done." He lived his life the right way and will be missed by many.

He will always be "Forever a Duke."



10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to Mr. Towle. I'm so glad you were able to share such a friendship.....I'm certain you will miss him always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent tribute to a wonderful man and ambassador of all things York.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful words Mike. I didn't know Phil personally but noticed him at events through the years. I had no idea the amazing impression he left with those around him. I feel like I know him after reading this. My heart goes out to his family and many friends, God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for those words Mr.Lucas, they mean alot to the family and exemplifies who Phil Towle was. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for those words Mr.Lucas, they mean alot to the family and exemplifies who Phil Towle was. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are many humble positions under the umbrella of Board and Administration leadership at YPS. Thanks for expressing the loss to many who don't see all the details of the work first hand. We appreciate the fruit of such leadership, and are grateful for the way it touches our present, and students' futures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this message, Mike, and for the clear portrayal of the kind, caring and compassionate man everyone was pleased and proud to know as Mr. Towle..!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful tribute to an amazing man who exemplified the PRIDE of the York Dukes. He will be missed by many, but his impact on the York Public School District will live on forever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 10 months later and I still go back to this post all the time to read the awesome words about my Grandpa.

    Thanks!
    TJ Towle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for keeping this great piece of writing up! I have it bookmarked and often go back to it especially on days that I am really missing Grandpa and my brother. I am sure they are both living the good life and pry debating the upcoming Seward vs York football game. Hold your ground Trevor!! Love and miss both of you sooooo much

    T.J. Towle

    ReplyDelete