Tuesday, March 29, 2016

"Back in My Day"

Most of us are guilty of thinking that "our time" was the best time to grow up, that we had the best music, etc. You will often hear people say, "back in my day" we did it this way or that way. As a career educator, I too often hear people that go out of their way to put down this era's teenagers.

I was born in 1972 and claim the 80's and 90's as "my day" but I'm here to tell you that today's teenagers are better than they've ever been. Today's teenagers deal with more "clutter" than any generation before them. Today's teenagers have to handle social media, and many of them do much better than their adult counterparts. Today's teenagers have to deal with more distractions and a world that seems to get a little crazier each week.

I realize I am biased because I am around teenagers more than most other professions but I can't hide my admiration for the vast majority of our young people. Sure, there are some knuckleheaded teenagers out there, just like there are knucklehead 40 year olds too. I get to see teenagers that go to school all day and then work 8-hour shifts to help their parents pay bills. I get to see teenagers that resist the numerous temptations of drugs and alcohol. I see teenagers that go out of their way to help others and to accept others for who they are. I get to see teenagers deal with adversities that you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.

I get to see teenagers that thrive in FFA, FCCLA, Band, Choir, Athletics, Speech, Mock Trial, and other pursuits. Today's teenage athletes are better than they've ever been and it isn't close. Today's teenagers that are involved in Fine Arts and Extra-Curriculars are more talented than ever before. They do more. They do it better!

Today's teenagers are an inspiration to me. We very rarely hear about all of the wonderful things they're doing. Give me the top 80% of today's teens and they will whip the top 80% from back in my day. It's not even close.

No comments:

Post a Comment