Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Being a "Dad" is Hard

I normally try to keep my blogs about "school stuff" as much as I can. I have deviated a few times over the years and will do so again today.

My oldest daughter, Taylor, begins her "real world" experience on September 23rd as that will be her first day as a professional accountant in Lincoln. She has been home with us all summer since her graduation from Doane in May as she studied for the CPA exam. Sunday night was the "last night" she stayed with us a "kid." It was awesome to get to spend so much time with her this summer.

As I went home yesterday for lunch, she was packed up and ready to leave for her apartment in Lincoln and it was much more emotional than I thought. As I gave her a hug to tell her how much I love her, how proud I am of her, and how much I will miss her, it felt different. I was hugging a woman...not a child.

As we stood in the kitchen hugging, I saw 22 years flash before my eyes. I saw birthday parties, Christmas mornings, silly moments, making smores on a candle in my office in Franklin, car rides, cross country races, basketball games, and much more. Taylor left and I cried. And cried. And cried.

I'm excited for her future. She works hard and she will do well. It's not "goodbye" either...it's "see you later." But it is different. She is an adult...as of September 23rd she is earning a "real" paycheck...paying her own bills, etc. Time flies.

Enjoy all the time you can with your kids. Before YOU know it, you'll be the one hugging in the kitchen and crying when they leave for the "real world."

Taylor, Micah, Jeb, and Bo are my best friends. In this profession where things are always so political and dealing with "drama" is often all I do....my kids are my best (and sometime only) friends. They're not perfect. Neither am I. Neither are you.

I will sign off by saying "see you later" to my oldest daughter, Taylor. It's never "goodbye."



No comments:

Post a Comment