Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Lesson Learned from Country Music....

First off, I need to apologize to all English teachers and grammar police that might read this. The word "ain't" will be used in this blog but only because I'm quoting from a great song.

I've always enjoyed country music and Jake Owen has become one of my favorites over the past few years. He has a song that talks about, "we all want what we ain't got." His lyrics go on to say, "we ain't happy where we are, there's greener grass in the neighbor's yard; a bigger house and a faster car; we ain't happy where we are."

As I listened to this song over the weekend, it got me thinking. We really are hard to please. Many of us spend more time worrying about what we don't have instead of enjoying what we do have. I am extremely guilty of this. Sometimes, we need to sit back and be appreciative of what we are lucky enough to have. It doesn't mean that we shouldn't continue to strive for more; it just means we need to enjoy where we're at more often that we do.

"It" gets crazy "out there." The "real world" is a tough place. Jake Owen's song has made for stop, for at least a week, and be more appreciative of what we have. One thing I've learned over my career is that things are never as great as you think they are nor are they as awful as you think they are.

I'm going to work on enjoying the journey more instead of putting almost all of my focus on the destination.

Have an awesome week!



No comments:

Post a Comment