Thursday, March 20, 2014

Don't Be Too Quick to Judge Others....

In 2004, my maternal grandfather, Pappy, passed away in Wildwood, Florida. I flew down there for a week from my home in Franklin, Nebraska to help my family, and especially my grandmother, Mammy, with funeral preparations, grieving, etc. One of my duties that sad week included some yard work so it looked presentable for the numerous folks that would come visit us to pass along their condolences. I still remember vividly mowing, weed eating, edging, picking up limbs, etc. for multiple hours. It gave me time to reflect on Pappy and how he would be missed by so many.

Those hours spent doing yard work also allowed me to see what Mammy's neighbors were doing (and not doing) and I was enraged! For almost the entire time I spent working in Mammy's yard, her neighbors were doing the same; kind of. Actually, a woman in her 70's was mowing, weed eating, raking, etc. while her husband sat in a stinking lawn chair, drinking lemonade, and just watching her work her tail off. I couldn't believe my eyes. What kind of man would just sit there and watch his wife do all of this physical labor? I couldn't understand it.

I quickly finished up Mammy's yard and went inside real quick to get a drink so I could walk over to this lady that I felt sorry for and offer to finish up her yard work. Right before I went back outside to offer my assistance to this poor wife of a deadbeat, I told Mammy I couldn't believe what a lazy bum was living next door, that he just watched his wife work her tail off, etc.

Mammy very gracefully said, "Mike - don't be too quick to judge others. Mr. Sabol next door had heart surgery two weeks ago and is unable to do any physical labor for a while. He is the kindest and most giving man on the block. He treats his wife like a princess. Before his surgery, he helped Pappy and I with numerous projects around the house, mowed our yard, raked our leaves, etc. He is a true blessing. I hope you realize the damage in judging people too quickly."

Boy, was I embarrassed.

I think back to that story from time to time when I feel the urge to criticize someone. We never really know what others are going through and I hope we can all be a little more patient before casting stones at others.

Have a great week!



No comments:

Post a Comment