Wednesday, April 4, 2018

COMMUNITY

Now that I'm an old-timer that has been a superintendent for 15 years, I often get asked by young whipper-snappers what are some of the biggest changes I've seen in educational leadership. I only taught and coached for four years before I joined the dark side of educational administration at the age of 25 and then became a stupid-intendent at the age of 30. I've seen lots of changes.

The biggest change I've noticed in the superintendency, however, has been that this is a COMMUNITY job. Gone are the days where the superintendent just works for "the school." Yes, obviously, that will always be our "main thing" and our top priority but today's superintendents have to be highly involved in their communities. I believe we have to have the mindset that we work "for" the community, of which the school system is an integral piece.

I love working for the community of York and I will argue that helps make York Public Schools better. By being engaged with other community leaders, we are able to simultaneously work on projects that benefit YPS and York as a whole. Partnering with the York Chamber, Visitors Bureau, YCDC, and others helps us provide great opportunities for students.

The new Manufacturing and Entrepreneurship course at YMS is a direct result of YCDC hooking YPS together with Cyclonaire. Our summer Entrepreneurship Academies are because of our generous business sector and the York Chamber of Commerce. We have amazing partnerships with York General, Southeast Community College, Central Valley Ag, Wendy's, UTC, Truck Center Companies, and many more. The list goes on and on and on.

For those folks out there aspiring to be superintendents, my hat is off to you. We need more people willing to do this gig. It can be a great job if you're in the right place. Just remember, you need to work for more than just the school. Build relationships with business leaders, bankers, shop owners, manufacturers, and others. This is 2018 and "the school" has to become much more invested in their communities. We need to give back to those that give so much to us!


No comments:

Post a Comment