Tuesday, December 12, 2017

A Pep Talk for Educators

This is an open letter to any/all educators in the great state of Nebraska and beyond. Thanks for all you do!

YOU are more important today than you’ve ever been. HOW you do things, WHAT you say, WHEN you follow up, WHY you go to work each day defines your legacy. This year’s freshman class will retire in/around 2068….what they learn in your classrooms this semester will play a huge role in the next 50+ years of their lives….they may very well reference something you’ve said to them or taught them at their retirement reception….it is impossible to accurately measure the impact you make and will continue to make long after you retire….

This year’s incoming kindergarten class will retire in/around 2077….they will learn to read, write, critically think, problem-solve, and work with others over the next few years….skills they will take with them forever….don’t you think your jobs are important? Give it your best effort every minute of every day! I began kindergarten 40 years ago this past August….I still remember things Mrs. Thigpen said to me….how she made me feel….what you do and how you do it matters!

I grew up in a challenging environment with a single mama and needed all the “educational heroes” available to assist in my development. There were numerous times that my brothers and I needed a whole lot more from our teachers and school staff than spelling lists, math assignments, and reading homework.

I was lucky to have several educational heroes that helped me on my journey.

Mrs. Tanner in 1st grade at South Ocala Elementary in September 1978 could tell I needed a little extra attention from time to time and would often subtly check on me with a quick hug, a visit by the chalkboard eraser cleaning tree, etc. She helped give me confidence even though I couldn't tie my shoes and was much slower to learn letters and basic sight words than most of my classmates. I didn't really learn to read until 3rd grade.

Ms. Orlet in 10th grade math at Ocala Forest High School in February 1988 taught me that every day matters and that eyes were always upon you to do the "right thing." She helped me better deal with pressure and high expectations. She was a calming influence during a very non-calm part of my life.

Coach Wayne Yancey at Forest High School from 1986-1990 on a regular basis but the most memorable discussion was on the bus ride home from a baseball tournament in Miami in April 1989 while he had a big ol’ chew of Red Man in his mouth! He taught me to "control what I can control" and to not let all of the things going on around me distract me from my goals. He taught me how to relax a little and not blame myself for mistakes of others. When I came to York in 2009, the theme I spoke about with my staff on the first day of meetings that August was "control what you can control!"

Mrs. Olive Burns at Benedictine College in Atchison, Kansas in 1993-94. She taught me to grow up! She made me solidify my work ethic and passion for education as a way to make a better life for myself and my family. She made me do away with the excuses and focus on results. She taught me that "pretty good isn't good enough!"

I share these stories because YOU have the ability to have the same kind of impact on kids today, tomorrow, and EVERY DAY in your classrooms and programs. YOU can make the world a better place one person at a time!

NEBRASKA needs YOU – not just your classroom, school, district, or community!
o 318,000 students in our K-12 schools this year
o 45% living in poverty
o EDUCATION is the equalizer….YOU shape the future!

Do you give an A+ effort every day? Do you work the room and interact with ALL of your students? Do you only seem energetic and amazing during walk-throughs and observations? Are you all talk and no action? Are you a Negative Nellie or an Enthusiastic Emily? Do you inspire or intimidate kids?

How will YOU be REMEMBERED? By your students? By your colleagues?

Your jobs are tough....but don't give up. Stay focused on WHY you got into this wonderful profession in the first place. "The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing" and in this profession, that is ALWAYS our students. Be better today than you've ever been....not for yourself but for your students. THANK YOU for what you do!



No comments:

Post a Comment